Men who made mathematics

Men who made mathematics

Monday, December 31, 2012

The following sum has a history:
Volume created by revolving the arc of a parabola from the vertex to one extremity of the latus rectum about the corresponding chord is [{2*5^0.5}/75]times pi times a^3: prove.

It came in the Civil services maths second paper in 1982 when I wrote it. I was stuck and it was the last problem. I decided to take a smoke break and sat on the staircases outside the exam hall. First cigarette gone... no solution...lit up the second... and the invigilator comes out and asks me : aren't you going to come in and complete the paper?" I shooed him away... and suddenly I had it figured out.... went back and the volume came out smoothly....

Nostalgia I guess... so I tried it... last night.. it is from Das & Mukherjee..(bless the oldie and goldie..) ....and hooray.... I could do it but it took me thrice the time it took me in 1982 inclusive of the two cigarettes that I smoked....



The solution to the problem :
Volume created by revolving the arc of a parabola from the vertex to one extremity of the latus rectum about the corresponding chord is [{2*5^0.5}/75]times pi times a^3: prove.





No comments:

Post a Comment